Presentation Topic

For my presentation on the 1970’s part II, I am going to discuss the birth of punk rock music.  I will start with its roots-NYC/Lower East Side, the bands that formed the music-but mostly giving tribute to The Ramones, why the music was created, and the influence it had on England/UK punk music.-bringing it back to the US in the 1980’s.

Music in the 1960’s shifted from the boppy 1950’s rock and roll sound.  Punk wanted to get rid of the 10 minute guitar riffs that went nowhere.  They wanted to remind their listeners what real rock was.  Bands like The Stooges, New York Dolls and Patti Smith.  Many think that punk started in the UK with bands like The Clash and Sex Pistols.  However, the punk movement started in NY long before them.  On a 1975 tour, The Ramones played in London and members of the two bands were in the audience.  Not long after, punk found its way into the UK.  The only difference is that they had a different story to tell.  Their lyrics and sound centered around a struggling economy and violence that seemed to worsen as time went by.  This began to influence the US punk scene and it shifted from the innocent grungy punk to the pierced/tatooed/mohawked image that formed in the 1980’s.

1.   the tao of badass pdf Said:

on July 10, 2013 at 9:28 am

Pretty component of content. I simply stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to say that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.

Anyway I will be subscribing for your feeds or even I achievement you access constantly quickly.

{ RSS feed for comments on this post} · { TrackBack URI